This is the best recipe for zucchini bread because it is the most flavorful and super moist zucchini bread you will ever eat! Zucchini bread with orange zest, bananas, orange glaze, and rosemary.
Orange Zucchini Bread Recipe
by Hanna Maag
The Best Way to Use Up Zucchinis
It’s late summer and the Zucchini has taken over your garden or a friend’s garden and you have sacks full of Zucchini waiting to be used! The average zucchini will last after being picked for about 2 weeks give or take. Here are some ideas for how to use up or store these lovely summertime vegetables.
How to Make Zucchini Bread Healthy
I know the first thing most everyone associates with Zucchini is good old fashioned zucchini bread. My toddlers will destroy an entire loaf for breakfast if I let them! So here are a few substitutions I made so I can feel better about this being breakfast. In my original recipe, it calls for straight all-purpose flour, but everyone knows that all-purpose flour is nothing but empty carbs! An easy substitute for this is substituting 1/2 of the flour for whole wheat flour. Because let us be honest there is a definite texture difference from that oh so yummy white bread and 100% whole wheat that is why I leave that 1/3 all-purpose in there.
The second thing I like to do is substitute olive oil for the more not so healthy oils … depending on what you have on hand and the budget. There are blended oils out there with a combination of olive oil and canola but feel free to use your favorite oil of choice. This recipe is written using half canola oil and half olive oil.
The Secret to a Super Moist Zucchini Bread Recipe
The last note about this recipe is a little secret to adding some moisture to the zucchini Bread it’s the banana! Make sure it’s a super-ripe one and mash it thoroughly before adding it to the recipe.
Orange Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 2 loaf pans
- Parchment paper
- Mixing bowl/ whisk/ rubber spatula or stand mixer with a whisk attachment
- Non-stick pan spray
- Dry Measuring cups and spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh Rosemary
- 4 large eggs
- ⅔ cup canola oil
- ⅔ cup olive oil
- 2 cups white sugar (or sugar substitute of choice)
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbsp vanilla or almond extract
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 2 oranges Juice of 2 oranges
- ¼ tsp vanilla bean paste
- ½ cup powdered sugar Approximately
Zucchini Bread Prep - Before you get started here is what to have ready!
- Grate your zucchini.
- Zest oranges.
- Finely chop fresh rosemary leafs.
- Preheat the oven 365* F.
- Measure out ingredients.
- Grease and line your desired baking pans.
- Preheat oven to 365* F.
Zucchini Bread Mixing Instructions
- In a separate bowl sift all the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Flours, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. And set aside. Do not skip this step, there is nothing more unappetizing than a lump of baking soda in the finished product!
- Zest 2 large oranges and chop fresh rosemary and set aside.
- Line 2 loaf pans with parchment paper and nonstick cooking spray.
- Spray the entire inside of the pans with nonstick spray then line with parchment paper (I keep it extra-long on the sides for easy pan removal later) then I take it a step further and spray the parchment as well.
- In a mixing bowl or stand mixer combine the sugar and ripe banana until the banana is lump-free. I like to use my hands for this part to really grind and mash the banana into the sugar.
- Whisk into the sugar mixture the eggs and almond extract until thoroughly combined.
- Add approximately half of the sifted dry ingredients to the wet mixture till just combined.
- Next add in the oil(s), orange zest, rosemary, zucchini till just combine.
- Add the last of the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined. Don’t overbeat this though the more you mix the more crumby it will become. Just mix till there are no more clumps and streaks.
- Divide evenly between 2 prepared loaf pans.
- Bake 45-60 min until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before glazing.
Orange Glaze Directions
- Juice oranges.
- Whisk orange juice into sugar until a pourable consistency is achieved
- add vanilla if desired.
- Pour over cooled loaves.